Monday, November 29, 2010

Why Nintendo Breeds Fanboys...

My passion for Nintendo has often been mistaken for sycophantic adulation. And I’ve always responded to accusations of ‘fanboy’ fanaticism in one of two ways. I’d either vehemently protest my innocence (an unmistakable sign that a nerve had been squarely hit) or slink shamefully away, painfully aware that, yes, my devotion to Nintendo is somewhat pathetic.

But I’ve given it some thought and I think I’ve hit upon why Nintendo is such a fertile breeding ground for ‘fanboys’. The simple answer is longevity. Nintendo has been making videogames since 1975. Time has afforded the Big N the ability to build a rich catalogue of genuinely endearing characters (Mario, Link and Samus to name a few), infusing each with their very own background and history. In many cases, we have grown up with them; life long chums forever by our side. And it’s this comforting familiarity that generates such fierce loyalty.

Parallels can be drawn with Microsoft.

With each new instalment of Halo came an increasingly frenzied level of excitement. Fans were frothing at the mouth when the concluding part of the trilogy was announced. The same eager anticipation will no doubt be seen with future instalments of Gears Of War, Half-Life and Bioshock. In fact, any cherished franchises - Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, Indiana Jones – produce that same intense scrutiny, adulation and loyalty amongst its fans that ‘outsiders’ simply fail to understand. Who can forget those first breathtaking steps into Hyrule Field (Ocarina Of Time)? Or the giddy delight of seeing Mario fleshed out into full 3D?

To those of us who don’t follow Nintendo, these landmark moments mean nothing. But for those of us well versed in Nintendo’s rich history, for those of us who have invested years of our lives following the fortunes of our favourite stars, these moments are what we’ve been patiently waiting for. We’re ‘fanboys’ because there is just so much to be fanatical about!

So there you have it. The next time someone calls me ‘fanboy’ I shall secretly rejoice, safe in the knowledge that I’m in good company. Failing that, I’ll hug my plush Mario teddy and cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment